Breast Reconstruction in Lexington, KY
Residents of greater Lexington and Georgetown as well as the surrounding communities of Kentucky who need breast reconstruction should choose expertise and skill by selecting Dr. Jared Nimtz of Commonwealth Plastic Surgery for breast reconstruction care that will exceed all of their expectations. Contact us today to set up your consultation!
What is Breast Reconstruction?
Following mastectomy, patients often desire their former breast shape. Breast reconstruction recreates a breast using your own tissue, i.e., skin and muscle, along with a breast implant. There now exists a variety of implants patients can choose from for breast reconstruction:
- Saline is a bag filled with saline to the desired volume and has been popular for many years in breast augmentation patients. However, patients with little breast tissue and thinner skin, which is typical of breast cancer patients, may see rippling under the skin around the implant. Fat transfer, however, can help disguise saline as well as other types of implants in breast cancer patients.
- Silicone implants are filled with silicone gel. These implants are popular in breast cancer patients as well as breast augmentation patients because these implants feel like real breast tissue.
- Form-stable, or gummy bear implants, are tear-dropped shaped like a natural breast. They are newer on the market but have been popular for their shape and durability.
What are the Benefits of Breast Reconstruction?
Dr. Nimtz can speak with you about which type of implant is best suited for you and the look you want to achieve. He will consider your mastectomy site, your unique anatomy and which implant will give you the look you desire. Dr. Nimtz is able to perform the various types of implant procedures and finds breast cancer reconstruction rewarding work.
What is the Procedure for Breast Reconstruction?
Breast cancer reconstruction can be done in a one-step or two-step procedure:
- This procedure is done in conjunction with the general surgeon performing the mastectomy. Once the general surgeon performs the mastectomy, Nimtz will begin reconstructing the breast.
- The two-step procedure is aptly named because it requires two surgeries. First, the doctor implants a tissue expander, which will expand the skin over the course of the next four to six month period. Secondly, he will put in the actual breast implant within the newly expanded tissue.
Tissue flap procedures remove tissue from either the lower abdomen or upper back, which serves as a tissue donor site with which to reconstruct the breast. Nipples are also constructed which can later be tattooed to recreate the look and appearance of an areola.
How Much Does Breast Reconstruction Cost?
The price of breast reconstruction varies depending on the extent of treatment needed as well as other possible factors. After you meet with Dr. Nimtz, we will identify exactly what your procedure will cost, at which time we will give you an all-inclusive quote. We do offer CareCredit® as a financing option, and our office also accepts Visa, Master Card, American Express, and Discover as well as cash or personal checks.
You deserve to feel good about your breasts. Women of greater Lexington and Georgetown, as well as the surrounding communities of Kentucky, choose Commonwealth Plastic Surgery for absolutely amazing breast reconstruction results. Contact us today to set up your consultation!